Pages

Monday, August 3, 2009

cinnamon toast.


I'm eating cinnamon toast right now, because it's 9:30 at night and I feel like a snack and nothing really sounds good. And when your hungry and nothing sounds good, cinnamon toast is always a good bet.


My family is all asleep. The kids tucked in their beds with sweaty heads, and Craig has fallen asleep on the floor of the family room. That man can sleep anywhere, I wish I were that lucky. When everyone goes to sleep before me, I start thinking.


Hannah got five shots today. Five. For some reason it's easier to watch your baby get shots than your five year old, who is now old enough to understand exactly how terrifying the experience is, and then be traumatized by it for a few hours after. Babies forget the second you stick a binky in their mouth. Well, not Hannah. She never did. I was thinking about the first time she got vaccine shots five years ago (has it really been that long?) She screamed for a good 30 minutes afterward, even though I'm pretty sure they didn't hurt anymore. She's always been the kind of kid who holds on to stuff. She did so well as the creepy male nurse proceeded to stick five different needles in her little miniature arms, but she talked about her shots for the rest of the day, which makes me think she was being extra brave for the benefit of mom. And when they were done the man-RN handed me her immunization card and said, "She's done. No more shots till 12." Twelve. That's a long time away. Check that milestone off.


When we were done I drove over to the Elementary school with her newly completed card to finish up registering her for kindergarten. I acted as much like an adult as I could as I spoke to the lady at the front desk but I felt like an impostor. Those attendance ladies still intimidate the crap out of me. I feel like just got a tardy or something. So Hannah is registered for Kindergarten now. Another milestone, slightly painful.


After I went home, I felt a little weird. Too many big things in one day. And I tried not too think about how they do all day kindergarten down here. 8-3 everyday. Holy cow. Seven hours is a long time for a 5 year old to be away from mom. And I know how much Carter is going to miss playing with his sister. It makes me sad.


This evening, we looked over our upcoming schedule for the next few months. Craig is finishing up the last of his to-do's before he starts his MBA this fall, he's also slammed at work, Hannah starts all day kindergarten next Monday, and I'm going back to school (part-time, at night) at the end of the month. Oh yeah, and we're building a home.


Life is about to get crazy. Really really crazy. It's the calm before the storm. And there really isn't anything to do right now, but think about the craziness and plan a way to navigate it.


That, and eat cinnamon toast.

1 comments:

Megan Erickson said...

Ahh I felt the same way registering Emma for Kindergarten. We have all day here too! I just kept thinking this is so weird and I kept thinking back to the time I went with my mom to sign me up! I think I am more nervous about the whole thing than she is.