Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

fridge


I sold our fridge last night. It was the fridge we bought when we bought our old house. Just a normal basic white freezer on top fridge. We're going with black appliances in our new house and the old fridge was taking up space in the tiny garage that doubles as a storage unit here in this tiny townhouse. I posted it on Craigslist and some guy drove halfway across Phoenix to buy it. While they were loading it on the truck, he said did I mind him asking what my husband and I did for a living. "I'm a stay at home mom," I said. "And my husband is an Engineer. He works for Boeing." I realized when I said this, how proud I am to be a sahm. And proud that my husband works so hard so that I can be one. It was nice. I didn't feel the need to explain myself. I am a mother, my job is caring for my children. There are other things I love, but I don't need to tell him that. I smiled as I was thinking this. Thinking about how I didn't have to explain myself, or why I've chosen to do what I do. And as I was thinking about this he started telling me about his life. About how he used to have a business, about how he just got divorced, how he lost his house. He told me he kept saying it couldn't get worse and then it would, so now he said it will get better. He told me how awful it was to lose everything at once. His wife, his job, his home, everything. I felt so, I don't know, sad I guess. The kid that was with him, it might have been his son, looked like he was embarrassed that the guy was telling me this. But there's no shame in admitting that life has humbled you. No shame in saying that life is hard and bad stuff happens, and we can look at whatever situation we've been given and say, "it will get better." I hope it will get better, for that guy. I hope the fridge treats him well.

3 comments:

TracyZLesh @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

Such an interesting way to sell a fridge. I love what you said about being a SAHM. You should be proud of what you do and how hard your husband works to do that for your family. :)

Unknown said...

That's a long way to drive to buy a fridge :-) We're renting our house soon. Must try Craig's List for that!

Thanks for a lovely blog read today.

Brenner Family said...

I love this! Its amazing when you cross paths with someone and you walk away having taken something with you. That is what lifes about. Even if you cant help you can always give hope. You both helped and offered hope to someone in need. :) Being a SAHM is one of the hardest, most trying, touching, sometimes thankless but most rewarding job. You SHOULD be proud, not everyone can do it and do it well. I was blessed to do it for Taylor's first year and will forever be grateful.