Pages

Monday, August 11, 2008

Ross...Dress for less.

I am a child of discount retailer stores. My mother raised me with a deep emotional connection to Ross, TJ Maxx and other such fine establishments. A connection so deep that despite Craig's insistence that such stores are barely a step up from the D.I., I have maintained a close personal relationship with them. Unfortunately, it's a love/hate relationship. There's no middle ground with Ross, I either leave in discount merchandise heaven, or completely ticked off/disgusted/cursing myself for wasting my time/swearing to never enter the store again...ever. This is the state I have left Ross for the past year. Every time I went in (about once a month) hoping to find a little something at a magnificent price, I left not only disappointed, but generally disgusted with the store. We're talking dirty isles, NO MERCHANDISE, complete waste of time. I really did swear off Ross FOREVER. But, since I have no constitution, I couldn't help but give in to my urge to run in and check out the goods last time I was in town and driving past Ross. I have never been so grateful for my lack of stick-to-it-iveness. I scored! In fact the last 2 times I've been to Ross have been this way. The first, saving grace trip I found, 3 skirts for myself, (the exact skirts I'd been looking for, for months) 3 shirts, cute and cheap, every item of clothing was 7$ or under (beat that DI!) a pair of shoes for Carter, a pair of PJ'S for Ethan, and a matching set of pictures that just happen to be exactly what I've been looking for in my family room (for over a year). Oh yeah, it was a good day at Ross. So I figured I must have just gotten lucky, or actually figured out the day they get their shipments. Side note: the key to a successful shopping trip at Ross is to go on the right day. Find out when they get their shipments and go on that day or the next day. If you wait 4 days, you might as well not waste your time... there's nothing left. All the vultures have already swooped in and ravaged it. So back to my point: I decided to go back on the same day of the week and see if I could score again. Oh yeah! This time I found a pair of tweed slacks 9$, a pencil skirt 7$, two pairs of stiletto heels... in size 51/2 (a size that NO ONE carries!) one of the pair were leather Nine West shoes, normally 80$, oh yeah, got them for 24, a belt to match the other pair of funky stilettos, and a white church shirt for Craig. Oh yeah, I scored. So, thank you Ross, you lovely and sometimes disgusting store. I always see the most random/bizarre people perusing the isles right beside me, but who cares when you get that great pair of name brand shoes for an insanely low price. Thank you, my lovely little discount store for restoring my faith in you, and making it possible for me to clothe my family of 5 on a limited budget and still look cute.

10 comments:

Tashina said...

I know what you mean... I feel the same disgust/affection for Ross. It's really a love/hate relationship. I went to Ross on Friday looking for a paper towel dispenser for nicks house. They had tons of kitchen stuff he needed... lets be honest...I wanted. It was great. Then I decided to just breeze past the clothes and what do you know... there were so many cute things. $150 later I was out of there with lots of kitchen gadgets and new work clothes! I'm a sucker nick says but I still think I scored!

julie said...

hey now, i actually like di. :) ....& ya, ross can be pretty lame. i especially love the wide variety of nasty-hoochie-club-girl clothes mixed in with the other clothes and shoes.

Marc and Stacy said...

I guess next time I go to Ross, I need to go with a more open mind. I feel so lost in the "Sea O' Stuff" and feel like I can never find anything. But I would love to find all the stuff that you did, so I guess I just need to be more patient. Maybe I'll try going to Ross that "one more time". I'll let ya know how it goes! :) Thanks for the tips.

Giles Fam said...

Call me a loser, but I LOVE Ross. I think i actually like the fact that you have to search for things...and everything isn't just laid out for your convenience. As skyler says, it's my version of hunting... when I do find something it's the thrill of the catch that is so exciting. :)

Forever Young said...

Amen!!! I need to go their after I get my B-day money from Ashton:)Maybe I should call and ask when the Logan store gets their shipments in? Thanks for the tip:)

Roger and Amy Ann Deming Family said...

I never score like that! You always look so cute and stylish that I must need to try a trip there once in a while.:)Maybe after the baby though...

Anonymous said...

I love it but I have to brave that hunt with no children. It's serious business and once I start the search for that perfect pair of shoes I can't be bothered. If you can do it with kids, I salute you!

Monique said...

I never have luck like that! My mother-in-law does, but she's kinda a shopaholic, so she's always there. It's her favorite store. I always feel a little overwhelmed and don't know where to start. I think it's because our Ross can get really, really messy. Anyway, good for you! Sounds like an awesome shopping day! I'll have to be more patient and try it out more often :) Maybe I'll hit the jackpot too!

Carter Family said...

I like your tips for Ross shopping! I have also found that I need to go without my kids... and with a good girlfriend or two. My most successful trips at Ross have been on girls' weekends, with not kids to slow me down. Wading through the aisles can become overwhelming... but sometimes you score big!

Jessica Speed said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing your secret! I really like your wardrobe and am in need of cute but inexpensive clothes. So thanks again!