Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

It just keeps getting better...

This year, for our Anniversary, Craig told me not to do anything, because he wanted to plan it. "Okay," I thought, but I honestly didn't expect anything more than dinner and maybe a movie. Imagine my suprise, however, when I was awoken at 2 am thursday morning (a day before our anniversary) to a smiling Craig, dressed, hair combed, and ready to go. "Get up, we're going," he said, I shook off the sleep and groggily asked, "where are we going." He guestured to the night stand where there were a dozen red roses and a card telling me to get dressed because we were going away for the weekend. Three hours later, kids asleep in the back, car loaded with suitcases, all of which Craig packed, we were in the car a couple of hours into a trip to I had no idea where. The suspense was more fun than I can even describe. I was guessing all sorts of places, Yellowstone, Las Vegas, Park City, Jackson Hole... anywhere semi-close. So my stomach did an almost audible flip when we turned onto 80-West toward Reno, I looked over at Craig and almost shouted, "Are we going to California?!" He smiled and nodded. Needless to say I spent the next 3 hours bouncing off my seat I was so excited. Now, for those of you who don't know, I grew up in California, and LOVED it. I also haven't really been back (except a short trip for a wedding) since the day we got married, 5 years ago. Since my parents moved to Utah right when we were getting married, I haven't really had any reason to go back, and I've missed seeing my home more than I can describe. I seriously cried when Craig told me where we were going. Yeah, tears streaming down my face and all. And since we left so early(such a good idea, the kids slept through six of the ten hours and then sat calmly for the other four), and California is an hour behind Utah, we arrived semi early in the afternoon, and had most of the day to spend with my Aunt Julia, and cousins Kaisa and Raquel. My kids got to swim in a pool I grew up swimming in, that was surreal. Now let me take a moment to talk about my cousins. We were pretty much raised with my Aunt Julia's family. Seriously, Rocia, Kaisa and Raquel are like my sisters. And I haven't really seen Kaisa since I left for school, six years ago. There are some people you just click with, no matter how long you've been away it's like you never left. That's my cousin Kaisa. I swear we knew eachother before we were born, I just love that girl. She seriously the cutest funniest spunkiest person I know. And so dang cute with her 3 little boys, yeah 3, she's a busy girl.

Me in the morning with my roses, still clueless as to where we are going.
About to leave, they are so tired.Driving out to Cali- the sun is not even up yet.
Swimming in Aunt Julie's pool.I seriously spent 1/2 my childhood on Aunt Julie's trampoline doing the exact same thing.

So we got to spend a couple days catching up with family, I was able to see my dear friend Stacy from my high school and young single adult years, who I also hadn't seen in 5 years. She's just as cute as ever, and has a georgeous little girl named Montana. I was so glad to be able to visit with her and spent the rest of the day telling Craig all about how we used to harmonize "My little Wild One" with Maran while walking from 2nd to 3rd period our senior year, and "How Great thou Art," while on our way to YA firesides. Those were some of my best times. Strangely, on the same day, I took Craig down to Elk Grove to look at my high school, and on our way across town to see the restaurant where I worked at my first job I was thinking about how I'd really like to see my friend Melissa Bonham, from high school, but had no way of getting ahold of her. Seriously 2 minutes later, we're driving down old town EG and she was right there on the side walk, walking into a store with her mom. Unbelievable! I totally shouted her name out the window, like a geek, and parked the car, so I could talk to her for a few minutes. Yeah, I will never be that lucky again. Seriously one minute earlier or later and I wouldn't have seen her at all. Awesome!
Me and StacyAn ice cream shop in Old Town Folsom

Craig at the Pony Express Monument in Old Town Folsom, his great great Grandfather was a pony express rider.Me in front of my high school.We also went to check out the Sacramento Temple, which neither of us had seen since it was completed. And I was able to take Craig to see the houses I grew up in. I was super lucky because one of the neighborhoods I grew up in is now a gated community and so there was no way to get in, but somebody was coming out as we drove past, so we snuck in behind him, and I showed Craig the house I spent most of my childhood in. Hehe, we're so evil. My Aunt Julia had a barbeque at her house Friday night and I ate the best ribs I've ever tasted. We swam in the pool with the kids and cousins that night. Fun, fun, fun.
Me, Raquel and KaisaMe, Craig, our kids and Kaisa's son MaddoxCraig in front of the house I grew up in.The house I lived in in High School
That's Carter, not Hannah, in one of Aunt Julie's wigs.Kaisa and Ethan

On Saturday, Craig took us all to Santa Cruz to go to the beach and boardwalk. This kids were a little stinky, but it was a great day. It was especially cool because we went to Santa Cruz 2 days before we got married, only now, going back we've multiplied. The kids were so hilarious in the water. A couple of times they underestimated the size of a wave and ended up face down in the sand. I must admit it was pretty funny. I even got to eat a corndog on the boardwalk, mmmm.
On a walk through the redwoods.
Buried in the sandCarter loves doughnuts...alot.The fam, on the beach.On the boardwalk
A little crazy in the car. On Sunday we spent the morning chatting it up with Aunt Julia, and Kaisa and Scott and the kids spent the time screaming "BACK EGOR!" at my uncle Steve. If you are an Erickson you'll know what that means, if you're not, discard it, it's way too long to explain. Then sadly we climbed in the car and headed back home :-(
Back Egor!Shy cute Aunt Julia.My cousin Brant- cutie.Time to go, I love this kid.Craig's belly- five years later...
Stopping in the Sierra Nevadas.It was a really special trip for me, and reminded me of who I am. It was good to go back to my roots, and remember things I had forgotten. Thank you, Craig for such an amazing trip, and an amazing anniversary. You always know what I need, even when I don't know it myself. You are everything I dreamed of when I was a little girl, and you've answered every hope I've had as an adult. I couldn't design a more perfect person for me. I thank the Lord that he led me to you, and that you were there waiting for me. I love you more now then when we got married, and I'm grateful for every minute we are together. I love you, here's to the next 5 years!

16 comments:

Janet said...

Oh you are making me homesick for California (I grew up in Provo, but lived there when we first got married. It sounds like a blast, and by the way, no one is allowed to look that good at 2 am in the morning. No fair! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love Craig. And you. And the Thomsons.

Anonymous said...

Cori!! It was so good to see you. I was on cloud 9 the rest of the night, knowing I got to see an old friend (even if it was for a very short time). You're still beautiful as ever, and your family is gorgeous!! I'm so glad I was there at that moment. You're right, the timing was perfect.

So glad I got to see you and your family! Happy 5th Wedding Anniversary!
=)

Melissa Bonham

Roger and Amy Ann Deming Family said...

You lucky girl! We really wanted to make it to California this year, but the Lord had other plans for us (aka the baby)! Sounds like so much fun... I'll have to tell Roger to read this and maybe he'll get some ideas for our next anniversary! :)

Forever Young said...

I wish I was there too, you have to promise that we will go back down this year:)

jordan and maci said...

how fun cori! i wish i could have been there-- there needs to be a true reunion of the rat pack in the near future.

Tashina said...

You, Craig, your family, the trip, all priceless. I love you!

Giles Fam said...

I love it! What a perfect trip--and I love that it was a surprise. Sometimes I wish Sky could keep a surprise. He just gets too excited for them! :) Maybe I'll have to casually suggest he reads your post. So glad you guys had fun! Happy anniversary!!

Carter Family said...

How fun!!! I'm glad you got to come back. What a coincidence that you ran in to Mo on the street! What a sweet husband to go to such efforts for you. You are a lucky girl!

Raquel Ruggles said...

I look like I'm pregnant in that shirt/pants. Thank you for posting that picture. You gave me the motivation to throw away that nasty outfit. We had so much fun with you here! We miss you and your adorable family so much! You need to make this an annual August thing.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome anniversary present! How fun that you saw melissa and Stacy, too! I like seeing that picture of your old house in EG. It brings back some good memories!

Monique said...

Happy Anniversary! What a great gift! You're one lucky girl! Glad you had such a good time reliving so many memories. What fun!

Marc and Stacy said...

It was SOOOO great seeing you. I had missed you! What a funny story about running into Melissa! :) That's a fun surprise. I talked to Rachel yesterday, and she said she was bummed that she missed your visit!

Seriously, I thought you had an amazing perfect family from your blog, but now I see its reality in person. I agree with Lauren...I wish my husband could keep a secret...he usually gets too excited and just tells me!

I can't wait to see you again! Girls trip!

Kaisa Bailey said...

I already miss you. I love the picture of YOUR family in front of the temple with Maddox. Priceless. C'mon Craig just get a job at Aerojet. I also agree with Raquel, could I also throw away my outfit? Great. Haha. WE LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU TONS ALREADY!!!!

Rocia said...

i'm pretty much crying right now, just a flood of emotions. i will blame it on being pregnant-or the fact that i believe i am 100% sure we should end up in sacramento after school. i'm so sad i missed you guys. i love you linners!

My Life as a Domestic Goddess said...

How fun! What a cool surprise. Way to go Craig for pulling off such a fun memorable trip. You two are such an awesome couple. Congrats on five years!