Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

jittery.


I don't really drink soda. In my quest for healthier living, sugary drinks don't exactly fit in. I'm not adding extra calories for a pop. I'll stick with water, thank you very much. I especially don't drink soda with caffeine. I'm not really all that anal, but caffeine is just so bad for you. Well today, it was hot. Like I knew it would be. We were driving around and Carter started crying about how thirsty he was. Great, the one time I DON'T load up my bag with bottled water is the time they get thirsty, so we whipped into the burger kind drive thru and I ordered 3 apple juices. Then came my turn for a drink selection. Normally, I would just get a water, but I have found that the water in Arizona is quite DISGUSTING. It's about the only thing I can really complain about. Everything else is fabulous. But the water, it tastes like they put it through a metal strainer. No, I'm not kidding. We've been buying alot of bottled water, and go through a pack of 24 in about 3 days. Hey, there are alot of us. But anyways, I sat in the drive thru line with my little dilemma. I didn't want a lemonade, water is nasty, barg's rootbeer is even nastier, AND it has caffeine. Hm, what do I order? Oh, well. I said to myself, if I'm going to have caffeine, I might as well get a Dr. Pepper. I do love Dr. Pepper, but I haven't really drank it much since I got pregnant with Hannah, over five years ago.


So I bought our drinks, and we slurped them down and then spent a fabulous afternoon in TJMAXX home goods (don't you just L.O.V.E. that store). Suddenly I had tons of energy! Wow, this is great, it's late afternoon and I'm not about to fall over dead with exhaustion. (which is my normal routine.) I was especially excited because Craig is out of town on business, and I'm alone with 3 kids in a city where the only person I know is my realtor, and I'm pretty sure she's not going to come over and help me out with the kiddos, no matter how fabulous she is. I can't afford to be a late afternoon zombie. So I skipped around the store, toting my three munchkins, who were actually angelic (for once-- pretty sure I had angels with me) and I was pretty dog-gone happy about it. The only problem was I drank it on an empty stomach. Caffeine + a person who never drinks it+ an empty stomach= not a good combination. By the time I got home, I felt strangely wired. I cooked up some scrambled eggs for dinner with toast on the side, and we sat down to eat. I look down and my hands are shaking. Like full-on uncontrollably shaking. "What the heck?" I think to myself. I held my hand out in front of my face trying to make it stop and it wouldn't. "Oh," I realized, "the caffeine." It took a full plate of eggs, two pieces of toast and another hour before the shaking stopped. Thank goodness it did.


But I get the overall feeling that next time I'll just remember to pack the water, or order an apple juice instead.

1 comments:

Darla said...

It's a good thing your body reacted that way, Cor! That means you eat pretty dang well. You know it's bad when your body does nothing and you've just slammed down 2 double cheeseburgers,fries,soda.., and a milkshake for dinner. Sadly, there's a lot of people like that. }; Hey, have you found a home yet? Should I even ask?