Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

um, embarrassing.

So at the pool tonight I sat lounging in a chair talking to a nice woman. The kids were swimming around with Craig, and there were several other people enjoying the heat and water. There was one particular woman, and if I had to make a comparison, to her body type and bathing suit choice, I'm sorry, but this is what I would have to go with: (the one on the right.)




Now, for the record, I have absolutely nothing against weight. I've been a complete beast with all three of my pregnancies. Seriously. If you don't believe me here's a little picture of me while I was busy baking Hannah:





Oops, wrong one. But seriously, that really is me in the middle.

Yeah, some pregnancies are not so pretty...

Anyways, back to my story. So this lady wasn't a swimsuit model or anything (which is fine) but her bathing suit was ridiculous. I mean really, we are talking NO coverage. So back to me. I'm chatting it up with this nice woman (whom I had just met), and suddenly Carter runs up to me and goes:

"Mommy!" pointing to the previously mentioned woman, "that lady is CHUNKY!"

Yiiiiikes. Um. Yeah.

And you know Carter, (even if you don't) it was at the top of his lungs. I shooshed him, quickly covering his mouth and explained that we shouldn't call people chunky... ever. It hurts their feelings.

I was embarrassed. I'm not going to lie. But actually more that it might have hurt her feelings. I'm way past being embarrassed for myself. My kids do that on a daily basis. Snot on my clothes, tantrums in the store. But I did start wracking my brains trying to figure out where he might have picked that up, because I was sure it was from me. And I realize. I call Ethan chunky, chubby, squishy, chubs, etc. everyday, while I nibble on his succulent little pudge thighs after his bath, changing his diapers, or basically anytime he gets near me. (I can't help it, the kid is so edible) But, oops.

So I had a quiet talk with Carter about how not nice it is to call someone fat or chunky, and that it hurts their feelings and makes them cry. He spent the rest of the evening proclaiming, (while protectively clutching Ethan) "Our baby's not CHUNKY!"

Well, it's progress, right?

4 comments:

RachelBarker said...

cute story. We are coming into AZ next monday and leave thursday. So maybe Tues or WEd.? What does your schedule look like? I would love to see you :)

Brenner Family said...

LOL! Kids say the darndest things! Its always an adventure. Sometimes I wonder where Taylor comes up with some things. A story for you...
We were at a friends house (luckily) and Taylor walked up to one of our friends and pointed, and rather poked her in the boobie and said,"Is that your boobie?" to which she replied,"Yes". Then Taylor says, "Well why are they down there, and not up there?" (pointing to the top of her chest) I thought I was going to die! Oh so many stories, not much gets past them.

Giles Fam said...

Oh dear!! I'm not really looking forward to Cali saying things like that--I hear so many stories about my nieces and nephews from my sisters--but I think you handled it really well. A moment to document for when he's older. :)

Maran said...

Oh man!! I've been waiting for something like this to happen with Hannah and I don't know how I'll react when it does. Hannah likes to stare at people with disabilities (lost limbs, in wheelchairs, etc) and I'm just waiting for her to say something. I think that you handled it well, though. Did the lady do anything after she heard that?