Pages

Friday, December 19, 2008

my life at under five feet.

It snowed today, sideways. Ugh. I drove home at about 3 miles per hour. It took me an hour and a half to go 10 miles. Before that, I went to several stores, and spent an hour in Jiffy Lube. By the time I got home every muscle in my body was shaking. It's a lot of work to drag three children in and out in the snow. Their coats increase their mass by like 3 times. My arms aren't that long. This is one of the rare times when I remember that I am puny. Most of the time it doesn't bother me. But, I am not the kind of person who likes to be encumbered by anything; least of all my physical limitations. My height has always been an interesting love/hate thing for me. I spent half of my childhood trying to decide if I loved being so small, because it made me unique, or I hated that no one ever took me seriously, and boys couldn't think of me as anymore than a little girl. I can't really blame them, I looked like a little girl. And I don't really care now, I only needed to attract one... the right one. (I did, by the way-- in so many ways I can't even explain) And so now that I'm grown (haha no pun intended) and people HAVE to take me seriously because I tote 3 kids with me everywhere I go, I think I've decided that I like my size, just fine, thank you very much. It's so much a part of me I can't even imagine what it would have been like to grow up NOT being the smallest person in the school, (even when I was the oldest). Not that I'm saying my height defines me, but rather the experiences I've had as a result of my height--or lack thereof-- have help mold me into something that I otherwise might not have been, had I been born with the genes to grow to a healthy 5'4". How can I deny that hearing jokes about how I look, and being teased because I was a late bloomer and had NO CHEST, taught compassion. How can I regret that being the physical underdog, made me learn to work twice as hard, and think twice as fast so I could keep up with the "big kids." I'll never forget the year I spent on the 8th grade basketball team. Me. Cori. At that point a mere 4'5" and 63 pounds. Don't be fooled though, I spent more time playing chopsticks on the bench then playing Basketball on the court. But, dang it, I was on that team (I have the pictures of me in my uniform-- about 8 sizes too big-- to prove it) and I scored the last 2 points of the season. Learning to push myself has helped me survive growing, having, and caring for the 3 little munchkins who at present weigh combined about as much as I do. I may be small, but I am strong. All the times I was babysitting kids who were half a foot taller than me, taught me to speak up, and be sure of myself. Never let anyone see that I was afraid. Little kids can smell fear. That helps me now to feel like an adult even though I have to look up to give my babysitter instructions. Nice. Figuring out creative ways to reach the top of the cupboard, the roof, the ceiling, taught me to be inventive. You would be amazed at all the different things you can use as a stepping stool. So I'm glad I'm short, it's made me a stronger person, in more ways than one. Just because you're the runt, doesn't mean you're weak.


That's me. The midge, on the right. A foot shorter than everyone else.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are absolutely beautiful, and if I could I would totally give you a few of my inches. I know I shouldn't really complain about being 5'7, but next to you I feel like the big friendly giant... and I think I'd much rather feel tiny than huge!