Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

motherly musing.

I volunteered in Hannah's kindergarten class today. I don't know how kindergarten teachers do it, and still keep their voices so high pitched and cute. That's a whole lotta 5 year olds, mmm yeah. Hannah's doing really well. She's perfect in class, not surprisingly, and she tries really hard. Plus she has my brains, how could she go wrong? Just kidding, sort of...

But I noticed something today.

It is so much easier for little boys to be naughty in class than little girls. Or at least it seems that way. They are more rambunctious and wild, and consequentially they get in trouble more often.

Two little boys in Hannah's class got yellows today while I was there.



Yellow is bad.

But not as bad as red.

(Hannah's words, not mine)

I felt pleased about my perfect little peanut, who charms all the teachers, the yard duties, the people who help move the cars along through the drop off, and all of the kids older than her, with her tiny little body, beautiful little cherub face, and articulate speech. I couldn't help winking at her every minute or so. She's just so cute when she tries to wink back.

Then I started thinking about Carter. In two years I won't be sending a perfect little girl to kindergarten, I'll be sending a boy. Carter.

Carter's been struggling, I'm not going to lie. He's impulsive, and has a temper, and doesn't handle change as easily as my other children.

The move has been the hardest on him. For sure. It's been a rough six months. His behavior has been, how should I put this... less than ideal. And many, no- most times, I'm at a complete loss as to what I should do with him.

It gives me anxiety, makes me feel like a bad mother, makes me worry about how on earth he will handle kindergarten.

But I thank God for two tender mercies. 1. that he gives me little slivers of guidance with Carter. and 2. he has an October birthday, that means he doesn't start for two more years.

4 comments:

Amy Robinson said...

cori!!! hey! i know i'm a total slacker of a cousin but i really do read all your posts! i love your kiddos SO MUCH and i can't wait to see how carter is in school :) i hope you're all doing well! how is school though? ugh, when you moved we just lost touch. sad day. just thought i'd let ya know i love you all.

Scott and Jamie said...

I love reading your blog. You are so fun. You have the cutest family by the way.

Darla said...

oh, this made me laugh. One, because I HAVE that little boy who gets in trouble. Little boys are so endearing, though. Cole comes home everyday and tells and I ask him, "Did you get your name out of the white cloud?", in hopes that his good behavior pushed him out, but instead, yesterday he comes home and tells me, "Mom, my name was moved up to the grey cloud." Not a good thing. The grey cloud is worse than the white, and the blue cloud is worse than the white. Amy just told me to not worry too much about it. He'll get the hang of it. These elem. teachers have been trained to handle these "boys". And you know what, I'd trade a teenage girl for a teenage boy in no time. (;

Darla said...

hm...sorry about some of the grammatical/sloppy/I'm rushing this comment comment. You got what I was trying to say, right?