Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2009

the state of the sink.


My sink is backed up. My kitchen sink. Then center of my world. Of every mom's world. The place where I wash and peel and scrub half of my life away. The center of my home is the kitchen. The center of the kitchen: The sink.


I spent 200 dollars on groceries today...


Don't gasp (although I still do every. single. time.) I spend that much every other week. Feeding a family of five is really really expensive. But I took the boys today. Usually I go at night when Craig can be home with the kids. But Craig has class on Thursdays, he'll be in Seattle all day tomorrow, till late, and I'm flying to Logan on Sat. morning. So I went with the boys today. All things considered, it went well. But, they both fell asleep on the 5 minute drive home. Which meant that neither of them took a nap. Which also meant a screaming temper tantrum afternoon, while I tried to shove 200 dollars worth of groceries into our teaspoon size kitchen.


Then I did the dishes and cleaned out the stinky old leftovers from the fridge. As I was running the disposal, I noticed a problem. The sink wouldn't drain. Disposal is running fine, but the sink won't drain. And I just poured 2 tons of stinky mouldy food down it. Fabulous.


2 hours, alot of plunging and still a big soupy, mess.


Pause. Go get Hannah from school, come back. No better. Plunge, and poke the sludge some more, still no progress. Pause again for the evening with 2 screaming boys, and my poor kindergartener who has to deal with mom being at her limits. We played t-ball, went to the park, cleaned the rest of the house (except the sink, of course- still backed up) had baths, cold-cereal for dinner (every mom does this sometimes), vaccumed, did homework, scriptures, prayer, book, teeth brushed, and bed.


Now I'm going to fold laundry, mend a few clothes, do some of my own homework, finish a project, and do pilates (if I can still stand at that point)


My sink smells like vomit.


Craig doesn't get off school until 10:00pm and then it's a 35 minute drive. Please let him have the energy to fix the sink as well...


I'm feeling grateful for that plane ticket to Logan...


I need a break.

1 comments:

Tashina said...

It's a good thing you are getting a break this weekend. I can't wait to see you!