Pages

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

true blue, through and through.

All of the protesting and persecution of our church (the LDS church) over our support of proposition 8 has been very disappointing. In fact, I spent half the night last night reading articles about our churches being vandalized, and loud protests outside our holy temples all over the country. I've been amazed at the way the LDS church has been singled out as the "BIG BAD GUYS" despite the fact that Mormons make up only about 2% of the population in California, and I can guarantee that not every Mormon in California voted yes on 8. This is disappointing to me, as well as ironic to see protesters with signs that say "no to h8," next to signs that read "Mormons suck." Hmm. I guess it doesn't go both ways. But all the name calling doesn't make me mad, it makes me feel sad. There can be mutual respect for differences of opinions. I would like to hope, and perhaps we won't ever know, that those of us who supported the "yes on 8" campaign would not have stooped to bigotry and persecution had the results gone the other way, but like I said, perhaps we'll never know. What often puzzles me is how to respond to these situations. While considering this last night before I drifted to sleep, a story I've often heard of popped into my head. Allow me to quote a talk by M. Russel Ballard.

"Joseph F. Smith was 19 when he returned from his mission in Hawaii. As he traveled from California to his home in Utah, he was confronted one morning by a “wagonload of profane drunks … , shooting their guns, yelling wildly, and cursing the Mormons.” One of the drunks, “waving a pistol,” came toward him. Although Joseph “was terrified, he felt it would be unwise and useless to run … , and so he advanced toward the gunman as if he found nothing out of the ordinary in his conduct. ‘Are you a — — — Mormon?’ the stranger demanded. Mustering all the composure he could, Joseph answered evenly while looking the man straight in the eye, ‘Yes, siree; dyed in the wool; true blue, through and through.’ Almost stunned by this wholly unexpected response, the gunman stopped, dropped his hands to his sides, and, after looking incredulously at Joseph for a moment, said in a subdued tone, ‘Well, you are the — — pleasantest man I ever met! Shake. I am glad to see a fellow stand for his convictions.’ So saying, he turned and walked away."

And so I thought about this story today, and how I am unashamed of those of us who stood up for what we felt was right. And I am more than unashamed to be a member of the LDS church (Mormon). I am honored. It has been the greatest blessing and brought the greatest joys of my life.
I feel a great love and sorrow for those who are angered by the outcome of proposition 8. I don't hate homosexuals. I have a few homosexual family members, and when they told me they were gay, I told them that I didn't love them any less because of it. I don't agree with their lifestyle, but I love them nonetheless. I don't always agree with the lifestyles of my heterosexual family members either. All I would hope for is an environment of mutual respect. We can have differing beliefs and opinions without all the name-calling, and especially without defiling and vandalizing our sacred places of worship.
Our church is no stranger to persecution, and it will continue, of that I am sure. I will be sad, but not for me. Name-throwing hurts the pitcher far more than the catcher. And I will bear it gladly, because I am not ashamed of who I am or what I believe. I am a MORMON! Dyed in the wool, true blue, through and through.

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth..." Romans 1:16

9 comments:

Tashina said...

well said sis...

Anonymous said...

Cori- Awesome post!! I have been feeling this same thing lately. We can't be ashamed of what we believe in, despite the fact that many will try to make us feel that way. I am SO proud to be a Mormon and I am SO proud that the church took a stance on a proposition that we believe to be a moral issue. I, too, am saddened by all of the hate and name calling, and I certainly wish that we could all have mutual respect for each others beliefs. Having our own beliefs is what makes America what it is. Anyway, thanks for this post.

Chelsea said...

I love your faith and conviction! You are one of those that truly make our Relief Society great... thanks for always sharing such inspiring comments! I am so glad you are in our ward! You are my kind of girl-

jordan and maci said...

yes cori! this has been heavy on my mind as well-- thanks for this post!

Forever Young said...

I love that story. Thank you for bringing it back to the for-front of my memory. I am so proud and thankful that I can stand as a witness of truth, my beleifs. I am a Mormon. Dyed in the wool, true blue, through and through.

Giles Fam said...

VERY well put. It doesn't make much sense to me, either, but maybe one day people will see that we can disagree without all the hatred. Thanks for this post!

Marc and Stacy said...

Cori,
I loved this post and the story that you tied it into. I hope you don't mind but I linked your post to my finding strength blog, as one that I loved reading and inspired me. You're awesome.

:) said...

Hey Robinsons, it's been a long time since Logan and I last saw you guys at good old BYU-I. We found your blog through Michael and Jessica Speed. I can't believe you have three kids! They are so cute! Time has really flown by. If you would like to check out our blog, loganandkara.blogspot.com send us an email at loganandkara@sbcglobal.net and we will invite you to read it.

Shauna said...

I ♥ your blog :) Thanks for sharing!