Pages

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Warning: this post is about breasts

So if you don't know me all that well, or you're my father-in-law, you might not want to read the rest of this post. It may make you a little uncomfortable. There, you've been warned.

So when I was a teenager and it became apparent that I might be heading into that oh-so-joyful time of your life called, Puberty, I was actually pretty excited. When your a late bloomer (like me) you have no problem with the prospect of getting your period, not to mention the chest that comes with it. And by the way, it actually is way better to have it, than to be the only one who doesn't (just to set the record straight for all you early bloomers out there.) But back to my point. I waited for the lovely chest that would inevitably follow my baptism into womanhood. I waited and waited and waited. And for some cruel reason, the chest part of puberty never showed up, and I was left feeling a little disappointed when I finally reached the age of 18 and realized that this was all I was ever getting. Disappointing. Then I met Craig, fell in love, got engaged, prepped him on the fact that my chest was non-existent and that I wore a padded bra, got married, and then got pregnant, and boom, hello my chest showed up, 8 years late, and with a fat belly and swollen ankles, but dang it all, I had boobs. Then I had Hannah, got engorged and they got HUMONGOUS! I decided then, that I should probably never have a big chest... it just looks wrong on me, I'm to short for big boobs. But I could do for some normal sized ones. I mean is size A asking too much? I don't think so. So when I nurse I'm a nice healthy size A. Problem there is that the smallest size nursing bra that anyone makes is a B. Apparently no one as flat chested as me ever nurses. Yeah, so I have to wear a bra that's too big for 8 months. Lovely. But still, I'm loving my healthy little size A chest. Which brings me to my present situation. I'm done nursing Ethan, it's over, chest gone. And after nursing three babies, let me tell you, of the little that was there to begin with there's not much left. I'm talking almost non-existent, sad day. And I know I'm 25 and it really shouldn't bother me, but it still kind of does. Kind of superficial, but sadly true. I kind of wish I had something there, I don't love feeling so deflated, and it's kind of hard to feel sexy with a teeny-bopper chest. Here's the thing that I'm starting to figure out though, and it's changing my life. My body isn't perfect, but it is. Yeah, I'm dang short, I have chubby cheeks, and a SUPER flat chest. But so what? There's nothing wrong with me. There's nothing wrong with the way I look. I look in the mirror and my pathetic excuse for a chest and tell myself that it's a beautiful thing that I've given up the little amount of breasts I had, and let my hips get a little wider, and the skin on my tummy a little bit stretchier, so I could bring three amazing children into this world. And it really is a beautiful thing. The Lord has blessed me with a body, as small as it is, that can carry a baby and deliver normally, without complications. That's a beautiful gift. Some people can't ever have babies. And I am beautiful, in my own unique way. Who made the rule that there was one perfect body type, anyway? Even more than that, when I look in the mirror, I ask myself what kind of person am I on the inside, what kind of character I'm developing, and to be perfectly honest, it's not always pretty. There's so much more to beauty than what meets the eye. How many times have you met a real looker, got to know them, and then were surprised by how ugly they all the suddenly got. And on the flip side, you'll meet some average looking phenomenal person and they become the most beautiful person in the world to you? I think if I had to chose, I'd go for door #2. And that kind of beauty has nothing to do with what you wear, how well you put on your make-up, or the size of your chest.

8 comments:

arah said...

i was 'blessed' with large boobs. I never wanted them and i recall a cousin *cought*Kaisa*cough* who would make comments when she was little and I was 14 about my boobs. They get even bigger when I am pregnant and I thought that maybe, just maybe, they would shrink some after nursing babies...nope their just deflated. I would HAPPILY give you some. I think after all the baby days are gone for me, I would like to have something done about them.

rachel said...

Hey Cori I don't know if you remember me but I was your visiting teacher in Rexburg. Your kids are adorable..wow three..thats great!! and your post was hilarious only because that’s EXACTLY how I am.

jordan and maci said...

i love reading your posts cori... you are so funny:) i am scared of what will happen to my chest since i will eventually be carrying enough goods to feed two babies at the same time-- yowza.

emily alex sarabia bunch said...

ok, I figured out the trick. You just keep getting pregnant and nurse them till they are 5 and then you keep them. Kinda or at least when you are done you can tie them in a knot around your back from being stretched out by 7 kids. Love you emily

Marc and Stacy said...

Cori,
You are too funny. Great post! I don't know if I read deeper into this post or not, because I took away a lot more than "chest size". I'm not sure if that was your purpose, but for me, being happy with yourself just the way you are is something that is hard to do. I feel like its a constant battle to accept yourself as beautiful for any and every feature that you have!!! I LOVE that you stand in the mirror and can say that. That is definitely beautiful to have the common sense to be able to see that...because you are. I was watching Miss Universe last night, and who said anyway that five foot nine, 105 lbs was the only kind of beautiful?? You are right, and I'm grateful that your post helped me take a better look at myself to appreciate me for what I am.

Forever Young said...

Cori,

All I can really say is, thank you.

Love,

meg

Kam said...

cori, your post was absolutely endearing. you rock. you are beautiful regardless of your chest size and if i could I would happily past on the bosom that I was so blessed with along with the Grandma Erickson arms... what the heck is up with that? Anyway, I love you and I think you are wonderful. Thanks for making me smile always.

Katie said...

Ok, I totally read this when you posted it, but felt like I had to COME BACK and let you know that I think Kate Hudson is even smaller than you!! :)
Also, 15 years after puberty, I wish that I could go back a bit and not have boobs because I weighed less...seriously, I think my boobs probably weigh a good 10-15lbs. What I wouldn't give to have 10-15lbs gone! ;)