Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

the wisdom of mothers

On Sunday I was talking to my mom about what it was that she did to make a totally manic, over-run with kids household so wonderful, and comfortable and loving. She told me a story about one Sunday morning when my dad had to work (he was a firefighter) and she was trying to get me and three of my siblings ready. And it wasn't going well. We were screaming, she was flustered, and late... you know the routine. So instead of continuing, she stopped took us all out on the front porch and sang songs with us until we were all calmed down and happy. We were late to church, but the feeling changed. So the other day I was outside mowing the lawn and the kids were out with me swinging on our neighbor's swing set. In the middle of mowing Carter ran over and started shouting "Mommy push me on the swing!" My first reaction was to tell him not now, maybe later, and that I needed to finish the lawn. But let's face it, I probably wouldn't have gotten around to it, or the kids would have lost interest long before I was finished. Instead, however, time slowed down, the clouds parted, and I remembered my mother's wise words from a few days before. I stopped mowing the lawn and went over to push my kids on the swings for 20 minutes. And do you know what? I still got the lawn done, and it didn't take that long. But, I'm glad I took the time to play with my kids, instead of letting the moment pass me by. Thank goodness for the wisdom of mothers.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetest little story. Could I love my Aunt Nora ANY more?! By the way, do you know the Russons? I think they are in your ward.

Rocia said...

so funny you shared this cori. i was teaching relief society last year and the lesson was on the sabbath day. jennifer hancock(who used to be in your ward in roseville was visiting her daughter, ladonna) and she totally shared this story of your mom during my lesson. of course i started crying. anyhow, my mom always reminds me of the poem 'song for the fifth child';

Song for a Fifth Child
by: Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

...The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

Nikki said...

I love it Cori! Thanks for sharing.

Marc and Stacy said...

Very sweet story. I have been trying lately to take more time to appreciate little moments like that. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Forever Young said...

Thanks for the story...I think we all need to hear that sometimes:)

Janet said...

What great advice. I'm FINALLY learning how little it matters if I'm late to church, and that how we all feel when we get there is WAY more important (too bad it took me 16 years to finally figure that out - but better late than never, right?)
Thanks for sharing!

Jessica Speed said...

That's beautiful Cori! Thanks for sharing, I'll have to remember that one.