Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

When I'm 64...

I had alot of preconceived notions about Arizona before I came down here. For one thing, that it was this ugly barren HOT desert. It is the desert, not going to dispute that part, but it's anything but ugly or barren. In fact I was genuinely surprised by how beautiful it was, and am more delighted each day I discover something new about my new home. It's not barren at all. There is grass, there are palm trees, and bushes and flowers... lots of green. And even the desert blooms around the city with the most interesting array of prickly vegetation that I've ever seen, which upon closer inspection, is actually quite beautiful. Secondly, the heat. It is hot. But it's also quite balmy many days, and coupled with swimming and palm trees, it's almost tropical. Also we've been getting a break this year. It's been in the mid-90's for the past week and a half, which, I guess is unheard of in Arizona. Of course, it's been freezing cold and raining everywhere else. Which brings me to rain. It never rains in Arizona, at least that's what I thought. It does however, rain in Arizona- it's rained at least 5 times since we've been here.

And finally, the last preconceived notion: there are A LOT of old people in Arizona. Sunbirds, snowbirds, whatever you want to call them, this is actually true. This place is crawling with the elderly. It's kind of fun. They are always so nice to me, these ladies I run into at the fabric/ grocery/clothing store. And they talk to my kids and tell me all about how they had 3/4/5 kids and how they all grew up 40 years ago and their Grandkids grew up 20 years ago and now their oldest grandchild just had their first baby, and so on and so forth. It's been interesting to observe these geriatrics, and to discover that there are some stereotypes about old people that are, in fact true. Not true of everyone, but for some.

Here are a few of my observations:

All old women have their hair cut super short and get it permed. Seriously, I haven't seen one old woman down here with hair past her chin.

Old men like to where socks halfway up their calves and comfortable tennis shoes (which are by the way bleach white) with shorts on, and yes even when it's 108 degrees. They won't wear sandals.

Old people love those clip on sunglasses that attach to the front of their glasses. Then all they have to do it flip them up while they are inside (so convenient!) and they have a little mini visor over their eyes.

Which brings me to Visors. Old women love to wear those things. Seriously, I haven't seen this many visors since 1989.

And finally, cars. Old people love to drive big- boat like cars. I don't understand this. Maybe it gives them more room, I don't know. But they all have these cars that look like they could double as watercraft.

It got me to thinking about what I am going to drive when I am old? And then what I am going to look like when I am old? And what I'm going to act like? Hmmm.

When I am old, I think I will drive a VW Beetle, or else a mini. That, I think would do just fine for me, especially since I fully intend to be a crazy old lady.

People apparently shrink as they grow older, so I'm banking on the fact that I'm probably going to end up about 4 feet 5 inches tall, but I'll be so old and crinkled at least people won't keep asking me if I am a teenager. Which they, by the way, ask me all the time. I can't go out in public without at least one person exclaiming that I look seventeen. Seventeen. Seriously.

Also, I love to tell Craig the back story on every movie/ Beatles' song/ random thing I see on the street, so I'm betting that's only going to get worse as I grow older. I'll be one of those old women who tells everyone in their vicinity the entire story of their life back to birth while they are standing in the grocery store line, and my great-grandkids will sit through it too, probably smiling because GG Cori is awesome and drives a mini.

Also, the Beatles' will still be my favorite band.

That's all I've got for now, I've got to get a little older to know the rest.

3 comments:

Tashina said...

I love your writing sis... I'm always excited for your next post. I love you so much. I miss the mini-ones... tell them auntie says hi and that I love them too!

Nikki said...

I am glad you are loving AZ. It's still one of my favorite places as well. Lots of fun memories. You'll have to let me know when you make it over the WaterWorld. I spent many-a summers there as a Lifeguard. Good times! We do miss you here though too!

Jaime said...

So, did I read that you found a house?