Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Guiltless Thursday- Project Two: Children's Profiles

It's guiltless Thursday again... my how the weeks fly by. In any case, this week I decided to hang up my aprons--so to speak-- and instead work on another project I've been meaning to get to for, oh, I can't even remember how long. Children's Profiles. I've seen these done by several different people, and decided that I like the plaque board with vintage paper method the best.

*Can I pause here and just say that I am in LOVE with Roberts Arts and Crafts. That place is like the candy store. Only so much better, because you don't leave toting 10,000 calories in hand. I swear, if I didn't have to tote 3 kids with me, I'd probably go there every day.


So that brings me back to the children, and their darling little faces, which I desired to document by doing PROFILES! This project was SO MUCH FUN, and so easy, except for the whole "posing the children" part. Only the four-year-old was cooperative. But once that was done, oh, it was just so much fun, and the kids have LOVED watching me transform their little faces.


Supplies: One thing I love about this project is that it is CHEAP. Which is important for any of you that have families out there. You need: a camera, a printer, photo paper, black paint, paint in the color you want your board, fun/vintage scrapbooking paper (or whatever thick paper you want to use), plaque boards, mod podge, and sponge brushes.

To Make: First photograph your child from the side. Easier said than done, especially with a baby. Then crop and size the picture into a 5x7. Print the picture on photo paper (or very thick paper like resume paper), and cut out, paying close attention to detail.


Once the picture is cut out, paint it black-- this takes about 3 coats. (Side note: kinda strange to take a darling picture of your child and then wipe black paint all over it. It felt a little bizarre on the first few strokes) Let the paint dry.


While it is drying paint the border of the plaque with the corresponding color to your paper. Let that dry completely and then do a second coat.

Trace the oval from the plaque onto your vintage paper, and cut it out. Make sure it matches.

Once all the paint is dry you can begin putting it all together. First, brush Mod podge onto the wooden plaque and place paper on it, smoothing out all the air bubbles (also easier said than done). Once the paper in on, position your profile and using Mod Podge, glue it to the paper. Let it dry for 15 minutes, making sure again to smooth out all the air bubbles. Then you seal it by brushing Mod podge to the entire surface, as well as the sides (which gives it a nice, shiny, finished look) and voila`!


The finished Project! Happy Crafting Everyone... hope you enjoyed.


I'll be finishing my aprons, as well as a wall letters project next week. Send along any ideas, corilynn6@gmail.com


PS. One of the great things about guiltless Thursday, is also the movie I put on while I'm working. I usually put on one of the fav's, meaning I've seen it alot and can enjoy it without really watching it. Tonight, Mr. Robinson had some work to do, so I put on a nice quiet non-distracting movie. My all-time favorite, Pride and Prejudice. Just in case you don't already know, I am OBSESSED with Jane Austen. And I'm pretty sure that the scene when Mr. Darcy is walking across the field towards Elizabeth Bennett has got to be about the most romantic moment in movie history. I stopped what I was doing and sat open-mouthed watching him cross that field as the sun rises. Oh my, swoon swoon.



9 comments:

kylee k said...

very cute profiles cori!! Im jealous of your crafting skills! I Hope to talk to you soon!
Kylee

RachelBarker said...

So I am so glad you posted how to do this. I've wanted to do this even though we have no children yet but thought It would be fun. Thanks so much for posting each step. If your having projects every Thursdays you should post how you do them!!! For my benefit. lol. You are a mini Nora. Rock on

Monique said...

Perfect! I've been needing a craft to do and this looks easy enough for me to do and way cute! Let's just say, I'm not the craftiest person, or at least not very creative, so I'm always stealing others ideas. This is great! I think I'll be doing this soon. Good work!

Tashina said...

so cute cor... mom would love those... i just love those kids... those pics of them are adorable

Giles Fam said...

that's so funny..I've been wanting to do the whole profile craft, too. Sounds like a lot of fun. Maybe I should have guiltless Thursdays, too! :)

The Buckner Fam said...

I almost screamed when I saw Darcy. Cori, have you ever seen BBC's "North and South" (not civil war). Mr Thornton rocks! Anyway...Love that you love ROBERTS!
I think they would hire you...

We miss you guys. Grateful that you have been posting again! (I know you've got things going on tho.)

I sound like I am 14. hahahaha
auntmary

Ashley Mullen said...

Very cute profiles. I like em so much, I think I am going to try it.

Tanielle said...

cute project Cori, what fun for you to have a day of "you" time!

Anonymous said...

Very cute. I have to try this.

P.S. Here's our blog www.butikoferfamily.net