Pages

Monday, January 12, 2009

intimidation


I'm sure that Carter is absolutely convinced that he's the toughest little kid in the world. And he may be right. That little hurricane head isn't intimidated by anyone. This attribute would be quite endearing if he wasn't in such a nasty stage. And I mean nasty. I'm not sure, because I only had one brother, and he is the definition of angelic, but I didn't think that little boys were so rambunctious, and physical, and satanic. Okay, satanic might be going a bit far, but seriously, what is up with all the biting? Hannah didn't bite. Ever.


So that's my big problem with Carter. He's completely wild right now. And I don't just mean out of control (which he is by the way), but I also mean wild. Like thinks he's an animal and stuff. I thought that was cute for about 5 minutes, until he started licking everything. Not to mention the fact that he is in no way intimidated by me, or Craig, or any other adult for that matter. How do you discipline a kid who's growling at you? I don't want to be "that mom" that screams at her kids all the time (whenever I holler I feel like a complete jerk). But I also don't want to be the other brand of mother, who let's her kids be little hellions, running around and causing an uproar wherever they go. I'm honest enough to admit that even though they might think it's darling, nobody else does. And I don't want my son to end up a menace to society. Which, by the way, badly behaved kids are.

Anyways, so I've been trying to figure out what to do with my eldest son, and how to show him that I love him while also letting him know that it is unacceptable for him to yell "you be quiet, Mom!" and then hit me on leg. Hmm.


So I've got a few tricks up my sleeve and a saint of a hubby, who's got some good ideas about disciplining the little monstrosity as well. I just never really got it when everyone said that each child is different and you have to deal with each of them in their own unique way. Oh, boy I get it now. I'll never criticize my parents again.


PS. Ethan is pretty much a heaven sent child. The kid is like a chocolate silk pie with whipped cream on top. Deliciously perfect, and totally edible. I could nibble that baby all day long, and it always makes me feel better when the older boy is being a turd. Excuse me, I think I need a little snack.

5 comments:

Katie said...

i FEEL your pain! Livi never used to bite or hit me or talk/growl back..but it is TOTALLY different when you have a boy. Please pass on your parenting wisdom, I need it! :)

Tashina said...

Oh I just love that little animal. I think aunt Tashi needs to steal him for a weekend. What do you think?

Maran said...

This post is funny to me! I wish I had advice for you. All I know is that a lot of boys are like this and most of them grow out of it. I'm probably going to have two hellion twin boys!

Nikki said...

All I can say is there is a reason they are so cute when they are this age... otherwise it would be easier to beat them!!! Good luck.. I have one too. I think they are in the same Sunbeam class?? I know last week I sat him down, turned to leave and thought,"Good luck to his teachers!!" At least they make us laugh too! I hope they do grow out of it. If I would have had him first, I would only have 1 child!!

Chelsea said...

oh man, you have got your hands full! I am sure I will be asking you for advice when it is time for me to cross that bridge one day. Whew! Go Cori!