Pages

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Widowed me.

So last night I took my kids on a date. It was Friday night, so we went out. Even though Daddy was absent, we went out. Me and all three. We did a little shopping, just one store, and then went out to eat. We went sit down, because they bring the food to you. There's no way I can carry a baby, a purse, hold two other children's hands, and carry a tray full of food. Don't be fooled, I'm no wonder woman. Oh wait, you were never fooled. Rats.

Anyways, IF I could do all those things at once I might have gone to Bajio, best Mexican EVER! (That's for you Randy.) But I can't, so we went sit down. And everyone was so darn nice to me. I felt pretty special. All these old women smiling at me, my waiter being extra nice--bringing my kids fishy crackers while we waited, putting our order in first-- some lady at the table across the room smiling and nodding encouragingly. Except, she kind of looked like she felt sorry for me. Hmm. I thought, and then everyone's expressions started to make sense. They either think I'm divorced with 3 small kids, or widowed with 3 small kids. How... sad. Why else would I brave a restaurant with 3 small kids, right? Why, because I wanted to take my kids on a date. Because I'm an awesome mom and let them order breakfast for dinner... the best. And even let my baby have a sip of my soda, oh I guess I'm a terrible mother.
So I smiled back and nodded too, laughing to myself because at that moment my husband was winging his way back to me. I'm sure I'm going to be the subject of a sacrament talk someday... "I saw this young mother in a restaurant one night, and I don't know her back story, but ..." tear, sniff sniff.

5 comments:

Nikki said...

I love your outlook! As if a couple of kids are going to "hold us back"!! We are modern girls...we still do what we want, with or without kids strapped to our hip!!

Ashley Mullen said...

I agree with Nikki. And man Cori, you are brave. My kids are older, and I still haven't gotten that daring. I take that back. I did it once when Spencer was in WA and I was still out there. You are an awsome Mom.

Brenner Family said...

Comments coming to a blog near u soon. Im getting a keyboard today then I can say a little more!

Brenner Family said...

Sorry about that last one. Its difficult to type on a laptop with no keys, I still try though. :) Its very difficult to have hard working husbands, especially if that means it takes them away from home sometimes. I completley understand where you are coming from. Zack was working in Seattle for 4 months, coming home every two weeks or so. It was difficult. Hes home now and we couldnt be happier! Im glad your Honey is home now.

Marc and Stacy said...

I love it! You can't keep yourself locked up just cuz your a mama! Way to go girl. Always an inspiration!