Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

outgrown.

While I was sitting at my parents house on Sunday night eating some wicked good spice cake that my mama made, my brother Matt walked out of the laundry room and over to the kitchen table with a load of his laundry. He wanted to show me how he knows how to fold his own laundry now. He carefully folded up his shirts and pants explaining which day he was going to wear each outfit. I watched him, and... thought. Hannah is learning how to fold her own clothes. She likes to help me fold the laundry. She's also four. And my brother, is twenty-eight.


When I was five years old and learning how to read, I'd come home from school and go over letters and words with my brother. He was eight, and we learned to read together. I remember the day when I understood more than my brother. It was a strange day, when I realized that Matt was going to take a lot longer than me to learn how to read, or do math, and some things he would never understand, like how to tie his shoes, or how long an hour is. And I felt sad.

I didn't want to leave him behind. I didn't want to outgrow him.



Matty has had alot of buddies. Some of them have been special like him and they never outgrow each other. Brad, and Jodi. Other's have been young children when they were friends with Matt and then left him behind as they've grown to adulthood. And then there was cousin Kurty. Who started being Matt's favorite when Matt was 12 and Kurt was 5. He would come over and play with Matt, and as he grew he began to understand more. But he kept coming. That young man (who's serving a mission in Argentina right now) kept coming over to spend the night with his Down Syndrome cousin until he was in High school and my parents moved away. But he would talk to Matt on the phone, and he writes him letters now. He is a gem. And it makes me happy.





Because there are people out there who keep caring about the special people even when they don't have to, that let themselves stay young and child-like enough to understand that you should never outgrow someone like Matt. There are things he can teach you that are much more important than tying your shoes.





And so I sat thinking about all these things, and watching my older brother interact with my three children. Holding his little namesake- Ethan Matthew, laughing at Hannah's jokes and getting upset at Carter teasing him. And I hoped that they would never outgrow their Uncle Matt.

Then I smiled, because I still talk to him every day on the phone. And he always pretends to be someone else at first. And I play along. And he laughs, and I feel happy, because deep down I will never outgrow Matt.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Probably the best post you've ever written. I love your brother! And I love Kurty, too.

JessieC said...

Amen sister!

Brenner Family said...

Oh My! Ok Im crying now, sitting at work, reading this, touched, and crying! My boss is looking at me like, she maybe should ask whats wrong, and Im not supposed to be blogging, and Im ok, Im happy, just touched. Thank you!

Nikki said...

I have tears in my eyes! I have seen your brother a couple of times at church and there is such an aura around him that just screams he is special. I love and am amazed by it. You are a great example of unconditional love!

Tashina said...

Well put sis... we do have a gem of a brother. Thank you for the sweet tribute to him.

Marc and Stacy said...

Tears-a-flowin'.

So sweet, Cori. We need more people like your brother (and you) in this world.

Monique said...

I don't know what it is, but every time you post about your brother I get very emotional! I think it has something to do with my brother. He's autistic. It's been hard and wonderful at the same time to watch him grow. Thanks for sharing! You've got one special bro!

Amy Jo said...

you just made me cry. well, not really you.. just that last picture. gosh i love ya cori!

Carter Family said...

Thank you Cori! :) As I type with tears streaming down my cheeks, I smile... because I hope that Meg's siblings will be as sweet as you. I'm sure they will. I learn something from my little Meg everyday... and I worry that exact worry... will everyone grow up right past her and forget that she is here? I have cried many times fearing that exact thing. Thank you for being the kind of sister that will always express love to ones like Matty and Meg!

Forever Young said...

That is exactly how I feel about Matty. I never want to leave him behind or have him be left behind. I know he never will be. At one point I couldn't even see through the tears to read...I had to stop for a second. Thank you Cori for depicting the sweet and heavenly relationship that we all have with Matty. Love you Matty... Love you Cori.

Forever Young said...

PS...I can't even begin to express how much love, gratitude, and true amazement I have for Kurt and his pure heart...Aunt Julie and Uncle Steve, thank you for making such a wonderful son, and Kurt thank you for being such a wonderful person. Love you.