Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Shout out to Cali... LISTEN UP!


I'm a Californian, born and raised. I live in Utah now, but my heart belongs in California. Someday, I want to live there again. It is for this reason, that I want to make my stand known. If I lived in California I would vote YES ON PROPOSITION 8. And I urge those of you who live there to do so!!! And to speak out about it, make your vote be known. Now is the time to let your voice be heard!


Let me tell you why I would vote yes if I could.


1.We can love someone while still maintaining and advocating our standards and beliefs.


2. Failure to pass this prop could impact the ability of any religion to teach and practice its beliefs.


3. This bill will not HURT homosexual people. In California the law provides for marriage-related benefits to be given to civil unions and domestic partnerships. Prop. 8 doesn't diminish these benefits.


4. If gay marriage remains legal, public schools will put it on equal footing with traditional marriage. Children will likely receive "age appropriate" information on sexual relations within heterosexual and homosexual marriages.


5. The court's decision will inevitably lead to conflicts with the religious liberty and free speech rights. Society will become more and more hostile to traditional beliefs about marriage and family.


And here is my final reason:


When I was in high school, California passed a bill defining marriage as between a man and a woman. The people spoke and the bill was passed. Fast forward ten or so years, and a few years San Francisco judges make a decision that legalizes gay marriage. THIS IS WRONG. VERY WRONG. The purpose of the judicial branch is to interpret the law INTERPRET, NOT CREATE. Legislating from the bench is wrong, and unamerican. Our founding fathers set up our government so that no one man would have too much power. When a few San Francisco judges go against the voice of the people and change the nature of our laws, IT'S UNETHICAL. It is our responsiblity to check this kind of abuse of power. Keep the balance people. Let your voice be heard... again! VOTE YES TO PROPOSITION 8

4 comments:

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Amen sister Amen!!! I came to you blog by LDS bloggers...I live in Utah also! :)

Nikki said...

Glad you wrote it and said what needs to be said!
Also, I tagged you on Tag #2. (I changed it to you because to be honest with you, I want to read your answers!!!)

RachelBarker said...

Amen! It's crazy here in CA. I just hope that more people will get out and vote for this even if it's the only thing they will vote on. I could say so much about this but I get to worked up. Thanks for the post!

Forever Young said...

Thanks Cori for your powerful words